Re: Using _Decimal64

On 09/07/2017 07:06 PM, Jonathan Wakely wrote:
On 7 September 2017 at 18:02, A.J. Bonnema wrote:

The _Decimal type is actually pretty awesome! Except for printf for which I
have to cast back to float or double, it works just like other numeric
variables.
Glibc allows printf-hooks that can be used to add support for new
types, like the decimal float types. I'm not sure if any hooks are
provided by GCC or not.

Hmm, that certainly is an option. I don't know how complicated it is, but it is worth a check if gcc already supports such a printf-hook.

Apart from that it is not a part of the current C standard (C11) why don't
we see more people talking about this? As far as I can see it is an
excellent addition for financial and reporting applications. Just wondering.
The performance isn't as good as some people would like.
Yeah, that really is a pity. Looking at the library that ICU provided, they are concerned about performance as well. Still, once the features are there, and it is being used, I expect performance will follow.

If on the other hand people move away from C, then we might never see that day. Only time will tell.