Re: How ship gcc binaries and recompile whole gcc for additional gcc language support

On 17 July 2017 at 19:40, mfe userlast wrote:

> Greetings,
> I'm trying to build gcc 7.1.0 on a NetgearReadyNASDuo (http://wiki.dietpc.org/index.php/DIET-PC_on_SPARC_ReadyNAS).
>
> The netgear readynas duo is shipped with gcc 3. I upgraded the necessary libraries to the last version:
> mpc, gmp, mpfr, m4, automake, libiconv, libtool,bison, ncurses,libxml,gettext, ils...
>
> My next move was to upgrade and install gcc from version 4.0 to 4.6 and than I continued with gcc 4.6 version to gcc 7.1.
> I thought I'm safer upgrading gcc with the above steps than upgrading directly from gcc 3 version to 7.1.
>
> I built gcc 7.1. with ../gcc-7.1.0/configure CC=/opt/gcc-4.6/bin/gcc CXX=/opt/gcc-4.6/bin/g++ --enable-languages=c,c++ --prefix=/opt/gcc-7.1  --with-cpu=v7 --with-mpc=/usr/local  --with-mpfr=/usr/local --with-gmp=/usr/local --with-isl=/usr/local/ --disable-libstdcxx-pch  --disable-linux-futex
>
> If I want to ship this gcc version to the same NAS netgear model, is it enough to ship all files in /opt/gcc-7.1 with the necessary libaires like mpc, gmp, mpfr...? Or do I need the assemblies of gcc 4.6 and gcc 4.0 too?

Just what's in /opt/gcc-7.1

If you'd built it sensibly you wouldn't need the gmp, mpfr and mpc
libs. See https://gcc.gnu.org/wiki/InstallingGCC and follow one of the
methods described there to avoid any run-time dependency on gmp, mpfr
and mpc libs.

> My second question:
> If I wan to add additional language support for gcc like ada, go and so on, do I need to recompile the whole gcc?

Yes.

>  Do I need to execute make distclean, reconfigure and recompile gcc again?

Don't use distclean, just remove the whole build directory and start
again in a clean directory.

> Is it enough to reconfigure gcc with --enable-languages=go or --enable-languages=java or do I have to set the existing languages for c and c++ again. So should it be enable-languages=c,c++,go?

C and C++ are always enabled, because they're needed for GCC itself,
so even if you don't list them they will be enabled.

You can't enable Java, support for Java was removed in GCC 7.