Re: building gcc 4.9.2 on Solaris 5.10 SPARC fails

On 01/25/2017 11:38 AM, Matthias Apitz wrote:
El día Wednesday, January 25, 2017 a las 11:24:01AM +0000, Jonathan Wakely escribió:

It looks like you don't have a usable assembler:

/export/home/guru/OpenSource/gcc-4.9.2-obj/./gcc/as: -Qy: not found

Try looking in /export/home/guru/OpenSource/gcc-4.9.2-obj/./gcc/as to
see what ORIGINAL_AS_FOR_TARGET is set to.

Thanks for the feedback. I've already figured out, that the 'as' was not
found, because /usr/ccs/bin was not in PATH. I set this with
'--with-as=/usr/ccs/bin/as' and as well for 'ld'. I would rather call it
a bug to need 'as' directly, but can not found it and do not clearly
say this as 'need assembler as, but nothing to be found'.

Also, you're making your life difficult by installing gmp, mpfr and
mpc like that. See https://gcc.gnu.org/wiki/InstallingGCC and use the
contrib/download/prerequisites script.

I have always been confused about these pieces. The "Prerequisites"
say we need these libs and then also say "but NOT THOSE LIBS use these
over here instead".  It also says "don't be silly" which isn't really
helpful.

So there seems to be things here :

      ftp://gcc.gnu.org/pub/gcc/infrastructure/

However those libs *should* be the real libs from the real source sites
but they are not. Actual libgmp is at version 6.1.2 and the bugfixes and
updates are being done in the libgmp project for a reason. It is trivial
to get the sources, build them, install into a very defacto standard
path like /usr/local.   For that matter one may simply extract them into
the gcc source path and continue that way. I have had great success this
way and it does not at all seem "silly". It seems correct to have the
real correct sources from those projects.

Dennis