Re: GCC Build Defaults to Debug Mode?

On Wed, 2017-01-11 at 16:46 +0000, Andrew Haley wrote:

Thanks for the quick reply & info Andrew.

> > 3.  How best to turn it off?
>
> It'd probably be best to strip out the debuginfo into a separate file.
>
>    <Run "objcopy --only-keep-debug foo foo.dbg" to>
>        create a file containing the debugging info.
>
>    <Run "objcopy --strip-debug foo" to create a>
>        stripped executable.
>
>    <Run "objcopy --add-gnu-debuglink=foo.dbg foo">
>        to add a link to the debugging info into the stripped
>        executable.

Stripping the debug info, while possible, might be tricky because I
don't necessarily know all the files from GCC which get linked into my
app.  And while I can try to find them now, I worry that over time
others might get linked in.  I don't suppose there's an easy way to
systematically strip it out from all libs that GCC produces (ie. without
necessarily specifying each obj or lib file)?

I tried to build GCC specifying CFLAGS, CXXFLAGS, and CPPFLAGS to either
empty or "-O2" and regardless, "-g" gets added.  So I guess GCC is doing
this internally.