Using ccache for xgcc

Hi,

I just played around with ccache to decrease our (cross) toolchain build times, getting the overall build time down to almost 50% of its initial value. But I think it could even be better, because during the build of gcc, the results of the intermediate target compiler (xgcc) are not cached.

My major issue here is that xgcc is always called through its absolute path, so that I did not find a decent way to make it being called through a symlolic link to ccache (e.g. gcc/xgcc ->   /usr/bin/ccache).

Thoughts that came to my mind so far:

- If there would be a GNU Make target for the gcc build that just only builds xgcc, I could (temporarily) replace it with an appropriate link to ccache for the subsequent build steps.
- Maybe the gcc build even has builtin-support to use ccache, e.g. through an environment variable passed to GNU Make?

Thanks a lot for any helpful ideas,

Chris