Build Error: cannot compute suffix of object files

I am trying to build gcc-4.4 with gcc-4.2.4. I am using Ubuntu 8.04 on
a VBOX. I need to use this specific Linux kernel version, so I cannot
shift to an upgraded OS.

My configure completes with an exit status of 0 but my make fails with
the message-:

checking for x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu-gcc...
/home/sreyan/Desktop/gcc-4.4.0/build/./gcc/xgcc
-B/home/sreyan/Desktop/gcc-4.4.0/build/./gcc/
-B/home/sreyan/gcc-4.4//x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu/bin/
-B/home/sreyan/gcc-4.4//x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu/lib/ -isystem
/home/sreyan/gcc-4.4//x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu/include -isystem
/home/sreyan/gcc-4.4//x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu/sys-include
checking for suffix of object files... configure: error: in
`/home/sreyan/Desktop/gcc-4.4.0/build/x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu/libgcc':
configure: error: cannot compute suffix of object files: cannot compile
See `config.log' for more details.
make[2]: *** [configure-stage1-target-libgcc] Error 1
make[2]: Leaving directory `/home/sreyan/Desktop/gcc-4.4.0/build'
make[1]: *** [stage1-bubble] Error 2
make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/sreyan/Desktop/gcc-4.4.0/build'
make: *** [all] Error 2

My tool chain for building gcc-4.4.0 satisfies all the requirements of
the prerequisites files, which I have attached.

I have downloaded the sources of gcc-4.4.0 from -:

http://mirrors-usa.go-parts.com/gcc/releases/gcc-4.4.0/gcc-4.4.0.tar.gz

In it I have followed the instructions of the file-:
<source_folder>/INSTALL/prerequisites.html

I have all the tools installed for building gcc. Except for the MPFR
library. Actually my system installed MPFR library is ver 2.3.1 while
gcc4.4 needs version 2.3.2 (you can read the prerequisites.html in the
attachment).
So what I have done is that I have downloaded the sources of MPFR ver
2.3.2 and placed in the source folder of gcc4.4 under a folder named
"mpfr"

The instructions say that if MPFR is found in a folder within the gcc
source folder it will automatically be built. So thats what I have
done.

Next comes the config.log(I have attached it). I have gone through it
and some parts worry me as they may be causing this error of make.

Check line 150, maybe it cannot find the g++ compiler.

Anyways I need help to solve this error. I cannot upgrade my OS since
I need this specific one. Any help would be appreciated.

Let me know if any data is required.

Regards,
Sreyan Chakravarty
Prerequisites for GCC
GCC requires that various tools and packages be available for use in the build procedure. Modifying GCC sources requires additional tools described below.
Tools/packages necessary for building GCC

ISO C90 compiler
    Necessary to bootstrap GCC, although versions of GCC prior to 3.4 also allow bootstrapping with a traditional (K&R) C compiler.

    To build all languages in a cross-compiler or other configuration where 3-stage bootstrap is not performed, you need to start with an existing GCC binary (version 2.95 or later) because source code for language frontends other than C might use GCC extensions.
GNAT
    In order to build the Ada compiler (GNAT) you must already have GNAT installed because portions of the Ada frontend are written in Ada (with GNAT extensions.) Refer to the Ada installation instructions for more specific information.
A “working” POSIX compatible shell, or GNU bash
    Necessary when running configure because some /bin/sh shells have bugs and may crash when configuring the target libraries. In other cases, /bin/sh or ksh have disastrous corner-case performance problems. This can cause target configure runs to literally take days to complete in some cases.

    So on some platforms /bin/ksh is sufficient, on others it isn't. See the host/target specific instructions for your platform, or use bash to be sure. Then set CONFIG_SHELL in your environment to your “good” shell prior to running configure/make.

    zsh is not a fully compliant POSIX shell and will not work when configuring GCC.
A POSIX or SVR4 awk
    Necessary for creating some of the generated source files for GCC. If in doubt, use a recent GNU awk version, as some of the older ones are broken. GNU awk version 3.1.5 is known to work.
GNU binutils
    Necessary in some circumstances, optional in others. See the host/target specific instructions for your platform for the exact requirements.
gzip version 1.2.4 (or later) or
bzip2 version 1.0.2 (or later)
    Necessary to uncompress GCC tar files when source code is obtained via FTP mirror sites.
GNU make version 3.80 (or later)
    You must have GNU make installed to build GCC.
GNU tar version 1.14 (or later)
    Necessary (only on some platforms) to untar the source code. Many systems' tar programs will also work, only try GNU tar if you have problems.
GNU Multiple Precision Library (GMP) version 4.1 (or later)
    Necessary to build GCC. If you do not have it installed in your library search path, you will have to configure with the --with-gmp configure option. See also --with-gmp-lib and --with-gmp-include. Alternatively, if a GMP source distribution is found in a subdirectory of your GCC sources named gmp, it will be built together with GCC.
MPFR Library version 2.3.2 (or later)
    Necessary to build GCC. It can be downloaded from http://www.mpfr.org/. The version of MPFR that is bundled with GMP 4.1.x contains numerous bugs. Although GCC may appear to function with the buggy versions of MPFR, there are a few bugs that will not be fixed when using this version. It is strongly recommended to upgrade to the recommended version of MPFR.

    The --with-mpfr configure option should be used if your MPFR Library is not installed in your default library search path. See also --with-mpfr-lib and --with-mpfr-include. Alternatively, if a MPFR source distribution is found in a subdirectory of your GCC sources named mpfr, it will be built together with GCC.
Parma Polyhedra Library (PPL) version 0.10
    Necessary to build GCC with the Graphite loop optimizations. It can be downloaded from http://www.cs.unipr.it/ppl/Download/.

    The --with-ppl configure option should be used if PPL is not installed in your default library search path.
CLooG-PPL version 0.15
    Necessary to build GCC with the Graphite loop optimizations. It can be downloaded from ftp://gcc.gnu.org/pub/gcc/infrastructure/. The code in cloog-ppl-0.15.tar.gz comes from a branch of CLooG available from http://repo.or.cz/w/cloog-ppl.git. CLooG-PPL should be configured with --with-ppl.

    The --with-cloog configure option should be used if CLooG is not installed in your default library search path.
jar, or InfoZIP (zip and unzip)
    Necessary to build libgcj, the GCJ runtime.