Re: ARMv8, GCC 4.9 and necessary code optimized away?

>> An statement to test for the presence of an instruction is only code.
>
> This is a mistake by the programmer.  To test for the presence of an
> instruction, they need to emit the instruction.  Asm statements do
> that.

Thanks Andrew. Doesn't the intrinsic do that?

ARM instrinsics are very appealing for us. They work on Linux,
Android, iOS, Windows Phone, Windows Store, and Aarch32 on Aarch64.

(I want to ensure I'm not wandering into unwanted or unseen side effects).

Jeff