Re: why these errors?

On 4/20/2016 6:53 AM, Jim Michaels wrote:
haven't been able to afford the reference book yet. I avoid stackoverflow.com because it CC licenses your code examples and software. I can't have someone else licensing my code and copyrighting my code to own it. I consider that stealing.

You can find the C++ specification online at
http://www.open-std.org/jtc1/sc22/wg21/docs/papers/2014/n4296.pdf

That's not quite official, it's the latest working draft, so it might have some features that haven't been implemented yet. But I have found those "drafts" good enough when I had a question about the details of C++.

Granted, slogging through the working drafts is hard work. It would be easier with a real book that presented things in a human-readable fashion.(*) For other languages (e.g., PHP, Javascript, Perl) I have liked the O'Reilly books named "Programming xxx" or "xxx The Definitive Guide" the best. They present the language in a way you can understand, and are useful both as learning tools and as reference works when you already know most of the language and need to look up details. But I don't see a simple "Programming C++" at the O'Reilly site, so I'm not sure what to recommend. Maybe _C++ In a Nutshell_ ($31.99 Ebook, $39.95 paper) and/or _C++ Pocket Reference" for only $7.99 (EBook) or $9.99 (dead trees edition)

(*) The spec, after all, is intended to tell compiler writers how they must (or in some cases may) implement the language. It is only secondarily aimed at users of the language.

--
On Beta, we'd have earrings for that. You could buy them in any jewelry store.
http://www.conchord.org/xeno/bdgsig.html