Re: Creating one large precompiled header from multitude of other (possibly also precompiled) headers.

On 5 April 2016 at 11:17, leon zadorin wrote:
> Incidentally, would you have some thoughts on why this is the case? I
> know nothing of the theoretical challenges in representing ASTs in
> precompiled headers so I'm just wondering whether this behaviour is
> due to just a shortage of interest/need/time in GCC development land,
> or whether there are some fundamental technical constrains which would
> impede getting this done.

I believe the PCH is just a read-only dump of the contents of memory
after the input header is processed. I have no idea how feasible it
would be to start poking at and extending those contents when read
back in.

> From reading clang (just for comparison, etc.)
> http://clang.llvm.org/docs/PCHInternals.html#design-philosophy
> just before a section on
> http://clang.llvm.org/docs/PCHInternals.html#ast-file-contents
> ... where they say: "Precompiled headers can be chained. When you
> create a PCH while including an existing PCH, Clang can create the new
> PCH by referencing the original file and only writing the new data to
> the new file. "
> ... it would feel like something of interest to the original question,
> at least in terms of physical possibility of being able to achieve the
> thing... but I'm probably way off base there also ;)

I have no idea, but Clang's architecture is quite different to GCC's.
Not all ASTs are equal.