Re: AW: gcc-5.3.0 libstdc++-v3: configure: error: No support for this host/target combination for arm-none-eabi

31.3.2016, 14:43, onkel.jack@xxxxxxxxxxx kirjoitti:
--with-newlib= I took from a older recipie I had used for build gcc4.7, but youre right, doc does not say it has a arg
don't know where i originally got that from.

newlib-cygwin is not for Cygwin extensions, its just the repository name if you do a git clone from sourceware.org, the original newlib source. Had to use it since newlib-2.3.0 is broken for arm. (2.4.0 just got released, I use it now)

--enable-threads I would like to have to have thread safe stuff later on, my operating system provide them (to be integrated )
   for now --enable-threads w/o an arg means single, this is no threads

--enable-interwork I may omit at all, I don't believe I really want to use mixed mode
but --enable-multilib is essentiell.

As told, I tried with multilib and interwork and it worked. First with symlinked newlib-2.4.0 sources ('newlib' and 'libgloss' subdirs in the main gcc-5.3.0 sources) so that newlib would be built during the GCC build. This wasn't installed. Then with a preinstalled old newlib-1.20 for 'arm-eabi', probably this was built with gcc-4.8.1. Not yet sure about replacing the C library used with gcc-4.8, gcc-4.7, gcc-4.6 etc which were installed earlier. But the new gcc-5.3 parts were installed. Both cases succeeded nicely. In the latter build I removed the '--disable-threads' and '--disable-shared', thinking them being vain, these being the defaults for 'arm-eabi' :

[root@localhost ~]# arm-eabi-gcc-5.3 -v
Using built-in specs.
COLLECT_GCC=arm-eabi-gcc-5.3
COLLECT_LTO_WRAPPER=/opt/cross/lib/gcc/arm-eabi/5.3.0/lto-wrapper
Target: arm-eabi
Configured with: ../configure --build=i686-linux-gnu --host=i686-linux-gnu --target=arm-eabi --prefix=/opt/cross --libdir=/opt/cross/lib --libexecdir=/opt/cross/lib --disable-nls --enable-multilib --enable-interwork --disable-libffi --enable-languages=c,c++ --with-newlib --with-gxx-include-dir=/opt/cross/include/c++/5.3.0 --enable-version-specific-runtime-libs --program-prefix=arm-eabi- --program-suffix=-5.3
Thread model: single
gcc version 5.3.0 (GCC)

So my thought is that the '--enable-threads' will cause problems if the libstdc++-v3 configure doesn't know what on earth threads the 'arm-eabi' would use. The GCC docs however tell that this shouldn't make any difference
if the threads library is not defined :

--enable-threads
Specify that the target supports threads. This affects the Objective-C compiler and runtime library, and exception handling for other languages like C++ and Java. On some systems, this is the default. In general, the best (and, in many cases, the only known) threading model available will be configured for use. Beware that on some systems, GCC has not been taught what threading models are generally available for the system. In this case, --enable-threads is an alias for --enable-threads=single.

--disable-threads
Specify that threading support should be disabled for the system. This is an alias for --enable-threads=single.

--enable-threads=lib
Specify that lib is the thread support library. This affects the Objective-C compiler and runtime library, and exception handling for other languages like C++ and Java. The possibilities for lib are:

    aix
        AIX thread support.
    dce
        DCE thread support.
    lynx
        LynxOS thread support.
    mipssde
        MIPS SDE thread support.
    no
        This is an alias for ‘single’.
    posix
        Generic POSIX/Unix98 thread support.
    rtems
        RTEMS thread support.
    single
        Disable thread support, should work for all platforms.
    tpf
        TPF thread support.
    vxworks
        VxWorks thread support.