Re: Why does -Wabi-tag complain when -std=c++03?

>>> Maybe you're trying to use the blog post as a tutorial for how to
>>> achieve what you want, but it isn't that, it's just a brief
>>> introduction to the topic. If it doesn't hold your hand through every
>>> step that's because that wasn't its goal. Trying to follow it like a
>>> tutorial isn't going to work.
>>
>> That's fine.
>>
>> Where is the [nearly] complete documentation on the subject? I'm
>> guessing it does not exist, and we are left to struggle through it
>> (q.v.).
>>
>> If you don't provide the necessary documentation, you should not
>> complain when users come with questions.
>
> You're the one complaining, not me.
>
> And nobody else has complained about the lack of that documentation,
> **because generally nobody needs to do it**. I advise against what
> you're trying to do. If the ramifications and the steps needed to do
> it are not clear to you, then you probably don't need to do it.
>
> The only person I know who has had to do this is me, for libstdc++
> itself, and the instructions for making it work are the libstdc++
> makefiles.

There are lots of folks who have experienced the issue; check out
http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/pkgreport.cgi?tag=libstdc%2B%2B-cxx11;users=debian-gcc@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx.
Debian happened to say "f**k it, we'll just recompile everything under
the new ABI and be done with it". But they experienced the corner-case
issues too. I don't know why they did not consult with the GCC folks.

I'm the type of person who wants to get a definitive or authoritative
answer so I can make informed decisions. That's why I come here to ask
the experts.

This step was not obvious to me at all. I don't ever recall having to
define a library macro for a library:

    $ g++ -D_GLIBCXX_USE_CXX11_ABI=0 -c test.cxx -o test-v1.o
    $ g++ -D_GLIBCXX_USE_CXX11_ABI=1 -c test.cxx -o test-v2.o

Naively, because of the blog post on the coexistent implementations, I
was looking for an option like -dual-abi to do it for me.

I estimated you were one of a handful of people on the planet who
fully understands all the nuances of the issue.

Jeff