Re: addr2line ends up off by 1 line numbers when -O0 is used

On Thu, Mar 17, 2016 at 2:15 PM, Britton Kerin <britton.kerin@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I'm not sure whether to blame libc (backtrace() function) or gcc or
> addr2line, but
> if I dump the pointers from backtrace() to address_file then use
>
> addr2line -e my_exe -f -i <address_file >call_locations
>
> to recover the line numbers, the line numbers are off by 1 statement
> for some stack frames when -O0 has been used, but not if -O2 has been
> used at compile time.
>
> The documentation for backtrace() suggests that things should work
> better with -O0 but I seem
> to get the opposite.
>
> I'm on gcc 4.8.1, addr2lines binutils 2.26 and libc 2.11.3-4 debian package:
> $ ldd --version
> ldd (Debian EGLIBC 2.11.3-4) 2.11.3

One addtional bit of info: this issue doesn't seem to be
-fomit-frame-pointer related.  I thought it might be after more
searching around, since -O>0 apparently activates this feature, making
stack unwinding more complex.  But adding -fomit-frame-pointer neither
fixes the problem when -O0 is used, nor causes it when -O2 is used.

Britton