Why the "--with-sysroot" option is not shown when I use the "--help" option?

Hello,

In the installation documentation for gcc [1], I can read the description of the "--with-sysroot" option.
But when I do:
$ ./configure --help | grep -- --with-sysroot
I have no result.
Does that mean that this option is not available in gcc-5.3.0?

In the installation documentation for gcc, I can read:
"A list of supported options follows; ‘configure --help’ may list other options, but those not listed below may not work and should not normally be used."
So, if I understand correctly this sentence, the options available in the installation guide have more chance to work than these listed by "configure --help".
I guess that if an option is available in the installation guide but not listed by "configure --help" then I can use it and it should work.
Is it correct?
Is there a reason to not show this "--with-sysroot" option when using the "--help" option?

Hopefully, gcc has an installation guide explaining this option but binutils does not have an installation guide.
As binutils does not list this option too, it is really hard to find the description of this option for binutils.
How a user can be aware of the existence of the "--with-sysroot" option for binutils?

Thank you.
Best regards.

[1] https://gcc.gnu.org/install/configure.html