fp problem building arm cross-compiler

I'm trying to build a 4.6.3 cross-compiler with target
arm-linux-gnueabihf .  But when trying to compile
config/arm/lib1funcs.asm (specifically, the file ieee754-df.S
included by lib1funcs.asm), I'm getting three errors of the form
"selected processor does not support ARM mode `mvfeqd f0,#0.0'".
I can see that the problematic code is conditional on __VFP_FP__
and __SOFTFP__, and that those macros are bound up in the
handling of the -mfloat-abi flag.  I'm not sure if the problem
is that the build is failing to invoke gcc with the -mfloat-abi
flag, or the cross-assembler I built is failing to support those
calling conventions, or what.  (When I built binutils, I did
build them to the same target arm-linux-gnueabihf.)  Anyone have
any tips?  Thanks.