Modify array type into pointer type for VAR_DECL

Hello,

I am trying to substitute array declarations with malloc function
calls. I run this as an optimization pass written in gimple.

In order to do so, do I have to remove all array declarations and
build new pointer types which will be malloc'ed with the same size and
then walk through all statements and replace references or is there an
easier way, such as somehow modify the initial declaration?

Thanks,
Cristina