Re: x87 register clobber returns "unknown register name" error

Hi Bernd,

Thanks for the tip, and sorry for my late reply. I have been moving and lost internet connectivity for a while.

If the "st" clobber provides no details regarding which stack registers will be used, does it mean that the GCC register allocator has no way to know how many stack registers are needed and must invalidate all x87 registers in order to take the safe route ?

In any case, if this is the proper syntax, the GCC manual should perhaps be modified, as in the last example of its section 6.44.3.5 "x86 Floating-Point asm Operands" (bottom of https://gcc.gnu.org/onlinedocs/gcc/Extended-Asm.html ) it suggests that st(x) can be used as a clobber.

Regards,
Hadrien