Re: Does -tree apply to armel?

On 06/11/15 04:00, Jeffrey Walton wrote:
> Hi Everyone,
>
> I was reading the description for -tree at
> https://gcc.gnu.org/onlinedocs/gcc/Optimize-Options.html. The
> description states:
>
>     -free
>         Attempt to remove redundant extension instructions. This is
>         especially helpful for the x86-64 architecture, which implicitly
>         zero-extends in 64-bit registers after writing to their lower
>         32-bit half.
>
>     Enabled for Alpha, AArch64 and x86 at levels -O2, -O3, -Os.
>
> Debian is reporting issues to us under three Chroot environments:
> armel, arm64, and amd64 (arm64 is aarch64). The issues are around an
> area where Big Integers are used, and it only occurs at -O2 and above.
> The Big Integers have some hand-tuned assembly language routines.
>
> Interactions with -tree are at the top of my list because of the
> symptoms, but I am not sure about armel.
>
> Does -tree apply to armel?

Not that I'm aware of.  As the documentation states, it's only enabled
for Alpha, AArch64 and x86 (I think in 64-bit mode).  The pass is only
useful on machines that have instructions that directly operate on a
sub-register (eg the bottom 32 bits) but have a side effect that the
upper bits of the register are set to zero when the result is written.

R.