Re: Need help testing 4.9.3 after compiling with 4.8.4 on Mint Linux 17.2

On 7 October 2015 at 16:16, Bryan Dunphy wrote:
> I compiled gcc 4.9.3 on Mint Linux 17.2 after installing a gnat package. The system installed gcc is “4.8.4”. All steps succeeded except “make -k check && echo SUCCESS!” didn’t echo "SUCCESS!” to the screen. Having never compiled gcc before this worries me. Does “check” only report errors in the event of UNexpected errors or what? Is my 4.9.3 build safe to use? I intended to use it to chain build 5.2.0.

Just looking at the exit status of make is far too simplistic, there
could have been some failed tests in some sub0component that tests
debug info quality, or some other heuristic-driven test that often
fails.

You need to look at the output of the testsuite (look at the
contrib/test_summary file in the source tree for a way to get a
summary). If there are hundreds and hundreds of tests that FAIL then
something is wrong, if there are a few "guality" tests that FAIL you
can ignore them.

As it says at https://gcc.gnu.org/install/test.html#TOC3 "It is normal
for some tests to report unexpected failures."

You can compare your results with the ones linked to from
https://gcc.gnu.org/gcc-4.9/buildstat.html