Re: AIX: Ignore duplicate symbols in multiple headers?

On 23 September 2015 at 03:50, Vinh Nguyen wrote:
> Hi,
>
> We have gcc 4.8.3 installed on AIX 6.1; the binaries were kindly
> provided by the maintainter of this site:
> http://www.perzl.org/aix/index.php?n=Main.Gcc.
>
> Been trying to install/compile different R and Python packages, and
> I've been running into issues where multiple included header files
> contain the same symbols.  An example could be found here
> https://github.com/Rdatatable/data.table/issues/1351, where we
> ultimately fixed the compilation error by changing the symbol names.
>
> Trying to compile numpy and other packages, and am also getting
> similar errors.  When googling 'gcc aix previous declaration
> conflicting types', I see that many packages run into this problem.

The Python Pyconfig.h header is very rude and should not be redefining
that feature-test macro, but lots of people have complained about that
for many years and the Python devs won't do anything about it.

> My question is why does this happen only in AIX?  Is there any way to
> fix this?  My guess is that GCC on other OS takes the symbol from the
> first header it encounters for the particular file, and ignores the
> rest.  Can one specify this behavior in AIX as well?

No, GCC doesn't do anything like that.

I think it's just that on other targets the types in the function
declarations do not change when _XOPEN_SOURCE=700 is defined, so the
naughty Python header causes a warning about redefining the macro, but
doesn't cause errors about conflicting function definitions.