Re: Compiling for i586 architecture - illegal instruction on executable

* Renato Mendes:

> So, for Ubuntu I would need to download the gcc latest source code and
> recompile it or is there a shorter way to go ? What flags would that
> be used for compilation ?

Sorry, I don't know, I'm not familiar with the Ubuntu toolchain
defaults.

> Abount Debian, you mean that if I switch my developmnet machine to
> Debian and install the latest gcc it will generate usable code for my
> Vortex processor using the -march=i586 flag ?

I think the default is still compatible with i486 even, at least for
Debian wheezy.

On a modern system, you could run it in a VM, or you can create a
Debian chroot using debootstrap on an Ubuntu system.