Re: compiling gcc 5.x from the scratch: issues

On 9 September 2015 at 09:50, Markus Trippelsdorf wrote:
> On 2015.09.09 at 08:36 +0000, Michael Mishourovsky wrote:
>>  At my work I would like to have recent gcc installed but i have no
>>  sudo rights to update the current gcc (its 4.4.7, and OS is redhat
>>  linux).
>>
>>  So I checked out latest version of gcc via svn, and following
>>  guidelines given at gcc webpage, tried to download prerequisites,
>>  configure gcc to be compiled into a separate folder and to start
>>  make. But got a lot of errors including errors in test files (that
>>  are easy to fix), errors during linkage (seems to be almost final
>>  step); eventually failed to  build it up. As it is supposed that this
>>  SW is extensively tested, could you tell me: whether someone tried to
>>  build latest gcc (say, gcc 5.1 or 5.2) from scratch and was succeed
>>  in this (if he/she follows the guidelines given at the gcc web-site?
>>  If possible, could you check -whether it is still possible to compile
>>  gcc or not and update guidelines, if something has been changed when
>>  time passes by?
>
> Please make sure that you use a build directory outside the gcc source
> tree.
> You may simply follow: https://gcc.gnu.org/install/
>
> If the issue still persists, please post the exact errors that you
> encounter.

Also https://gcc.gnu.org/wiki/InstallingGCC

Please don't cross-post to both the gcc and gcc-help lists, we have
separate lists for a reason not just so you have additional places to
email to. You're asking for help building GCC so your email is
off-topic on the gcc list.