Re: How to compile gcc with custom CFLAGS

On 10 Aug 2015, at 21:05, Jan Sommer <soja-lists@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I compiled gcc with the following options:
> ../gcc-4.9.2/configure CFLAGS="-O0 -g" CXXFLAGS="-O0 -g" --enable-threads -with-gnu-as \
>    --with-gnu-ld --with-newlib  --verbose \
>    --with-system-zlib --disable-nls \
>    --enable-version-specific-runtime-libs \
>    --enable-languages=c,c++,ada \
>    --target=arm-rtems4.11 \
>    --prefix=/opt/rtems-arm/ \
>    --enable-checking=yes
>
> But although I set CFLAGS and CXXFLAGS still I can find a lot of places in the log where the optimization level is set to -O2.
> This leads to the problem that when debugging of the Ada runtime a lot of variables are optimized out.
> How can I enforce that the whole cross-compiler is built without any active optmizations?

If you want to debug the Ada runtime you need to compile the runtime with appropriate flags. I think your flags affect the compiler itself.

I think the relevant Makefile is in gcc/ada/gcc-interface. Looking at target gnatlib:, the useful-looking variables are GNATLIBCFLAGS_FOR_C, FORCE_DEBUG_ADAFLAGS, GNATLIBCFLAGS, GNATLIBFLAGS, and at the top of the file there are explicit settings

GNATLIBFLAGS = -W -Wall -gnatpg -nostdinc
GNATLIBCFLAGS = -g -O2

so I’d try setting GNATLIBCFLAGS.