Re: Bootstrapping GCC 5.1.0 together with Binutils 2.25

On Wed, Jul 1, 2015 at 1:10 AM, Ondrej Jakubcik <ojakubcik@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Ok, that's what I'll do then. I am fine if it is expected behaviour,
> but in that case it would be best to remove the combined tree
> suggestion from official documentation:
> https://gcc.gnu.org/install/download.html
>
> Would it work if I checked out the appropriate tags from SVN or is
> something being modified at the time of release that prevents using
> the combined tree approach?

I think the biggest issue is that while the releases of binutils and
gcc are not in sync, the repository HEAD versions generally are.

The suggestion has come up multiple times that when a release of
either project happens, there should be some attempt to synchronize it
with some release of the other.  For instance, GCC 5.1 should work
with binutils 2.X, and vice versa.  But, I imagine that the users that
would benefit from that synchronization are few, and priority of the
synchronization task is rather low.  In truth, I doubt that there is
anyone both able and willing to do it.

But, I'm sure you could try.