Can the GCC toolchain be built AS a PIE?

Advance apologies if this question has been asked previously, Google searches only turned up results for using -fPIE/-fPIC.

Is it possible to build GCC as a PIE? If so, would it be a matter of including the -FPIC/-FPIE params for CFLAGS and/or LDFLAGS and running configure && make, or are there issues I should be aware of (for example, should I set parameters for cross-building)?

Background: Android 5.0 requires PIE, which means that upgrading will break my existing native build environment...unless I can build a PIE GCC first, then re-build all of my utilities with it.