Re: bitwise & optimization

On 09/06/15 17:44, Vincent Diepeveen wrote:
i remember one of the GCC team
members showing the middlefinger that they simply wanted to keep intel ahead of
AMD in terms of speed and take care that GCC couldn't rival other compilers in
terms of speed (the implication of not doing this optimization in branchy codes).

Links or it never happened.

Given the number of non-Intel targets that GCC supports such a claim is beyond extraordinary. Of course, what you cannot expect is Intel developers to work for free on improving AMD support.

And yes, GCC has bugs. I'm sure all of us contributing to GCC would like to see them fixed by tomorrow. Alas, we are simply human.

The advantage of GCC vs. Intel C++ is that with GCC you (and AMD!) can do more than just bitterly complain and fix it (or pay someone to fix it) for the benefit of all humanity, and there is nothing that Intel can do to stop you.

https://gcc.gnu.org/wiki/GettingStarted#Basics:_Contributing_to_GCC_in_10_easy_steps

Kind regards,

Manuel.