Re: gcc 5.1.1 requires linkage with -lpthread?

Jonathan Wakely writes:

If you're using std::thread then you always needed to link to libpthread or
you'd get an exception at run time.

Now you get a failure earlier at link time, but there's no new dependency.

No, I did not get a link failure before, with gcc 4.9. I'll explain why, in a moment.

No. Libstdc++ never linked to libpthread, it was always your job.

My job was this:

libcxx.so linked with libstdc++ and libpthread.

libcxx.so comes with some templates, that instantiate std::thread, etc…

a.out links with libcxx.so (and with libstdc++), and uses libcxx.so's templates.

This worked. libstdc++'s reference to pthread_create was resolved; apparently libcxx.so's linkage to libpthread was sufficient.

Now, looks like a.out ends up having an external reference to pthread_create(), when it didn't before, hence the link failure.