Re: Infinite recursive call of extract_fixed_bit_field() and extract_split_bit_field()

Hello,

[Please don't top-post.]

On Tue, Apr 21, 2015 at 12:03:40AM -0500, ftwilliam wrote:
> How can I tell which insn is using the wrong mode, or which macro or
> function is using the wrong mode ?

That's not what I said, please read again.

> > Something wrong with your mode sizes?  Hard to tell like this,
> > you'll have to debug it deeper.

> I have been debugging this for days, but I can't figure what is
> causing the infinite recursion.
>
> Could you please suggest what debugging method I could use to locate
> what is causing the infinite recursion ?

Look at the actual values everywhere.  See what they are, and if that
makes sense at all.  See what the code does, and try to figure out what
it is supposed to do, and if that means some of your input (or target
macros, etc.) is wrong.

To look at RTL, either use printf-style debugging, or if you use GDB,
make sure you have the GCC macros so you can use e.g. "pr".

If you cannot figure out the problem, first look at another problem --
when bringing up a new port there will be *many* problems, and some
are much easier to figure out than others (even if they are the *same*
problem!)

Read the documentation.  Read the code.

And, most of all:

Do not expect this list to do your debugging for you.  Questions are
perfectly fine of course, but do try to ask questions that people can
answer without first needing to spend hours setting up a build
environment, or reading lots of code, etc.

Good luck,

Segher