gfortran xarch error?

Hello,

I'm attempting to set up a Fortran-based modeling program on my Linux Mint 17.1 system. However, when I attempt to run the makefile command

                          make -f makefile

it throws the error message

   f95 -xtypemap=real:64,integer:64 -xtarget=ultra -c photo_CO2.f
   f95: error: language target=ultra not recognized
   f95: error: language target=ultra not recognized
   make: *** [PHOTO.o/photo_CO2.o] Error 1

The relevant parts of the makefile in question are

   ########################
   # Setting definitions
   ########################
   FC = f95
   FCFLAG = -xtypemap=real:64,integer:64 -xtarget=ultra -xarch=v9
   OUTPUT = photo
   PDOTO =  PHOTO.o

   # Main file
   PPHOT = photo_CO2

When I ran this program last October or so, it worked fine (that was using Linux Mint 17, if that's potentially relevant). I'm using version 4:4.8.2-1ubuntu6 of gfortran. I'm not at all that familiar with Fortran, and while I looked through the manual, the term "xarch" wasn't listed anywhere.

Any and all advice or suggestions are appreciated!

Thank you!

--
Thomson Mason Fisher
PhD Student, Laboratory for Astrobiology Investigation

(540) 222 7336
thomson.fisher@xxxxxxxxxxxxx