RE: Possible bug in gcc 4.4.7

Thank you for the warning.  In this case, I'm not trying to understand when to violate the rules but, rather, to understand why what I did resulted in undefined behavior.  I would have blissfully thought I'd found a bug had I not posted here.  I would have thought this, not because of hubris, but because the 4.8 compiler produced the result I was looking for.  After being corrected, I want to understand my error.

> The rules Andrew quoted say when it's OK to violate the language's type
> system. If you try to break those rules you can use reinterpret_cast to
> make the compiler shut up and do what it's told, but you're still
> breaking the rules.

Ok, I think I'm beginning to understand this better.  There is really much to this language and I have much to learn.