Increase the size of allocated memory space for basic blocks

Hi,

I need to do a research project that inserts instructions (e.g., JMP)
after each basic block at runtime of a program (when the program is
already loaded into memory).

I believe first I should allocate more memory space for each basic
block in order to put the extra instructions, when the program is
being compiled.

Could anyone tell me how to implement it in GCC for x86 platform?
E.g., which functions or data structures or materials for GCC I should
look at or refer to.

I really appreciate your kind help.

Best,
Yue