Re: lib64 and --disable-multilib

On Wed, Sep 10, 2014 at 10:12 AM, Andrew Haley <aph@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On 09/09/14 21:04, Shaun Jackman wrote:
>> I understand lib64 has a vital purpose on a multilib system. On a
>> non-multilib system, it seems odd to me to have a populated lib64
>> directory and an empty lib directory. It's tidier (in my opinion) to
>> just name the directory lib.
>
> Sure, but it's nonstandard.  You should just do what Debian do, and
> symlink lib and lib64.

Isn't each and every system potentially a multilib one? There are
commercial solutions (I worked on one not so long ago) providing only
32-bit versions of software where providing 64-bit is for some reason
not possible at the moment (we were forced to provide 32-bit binary
due to difficulties with one of external libraries - it was quite big,
we had no way to replace it and 64-bit version is "right around the
corner" for a few years now). This means that at some point one might
be forced to install 32-bit libc and so on.

--
Jędrzej Dudkiewicz

I really hate this damn machine, I wish that they would sell it.
It never does just what I want, but only what I tell it.