Re: gfortran for windows creating 32bit executables

Steve Verdier wrote:
> Hi Guys,
>
> I've searched the gfortran pages, but can't seem to find a compiler for Windows 7 that creates 32bit executables (which I need for interfacing with non-fortran 32bit programs).
>
> Is there such an animal, or is there a compiler switch for the MinGW64 compiler I have downloaded ? This name "x86_64-4.9.0-win32-seh-rt_v3-rev2" seems to imply 32bit, but I'm getting a link error when linking a subroutine created with that into a 32bit main program.
>
> Regards,
> Steve Verdier
>
> Micro Focus Limited is registered in England and Wales. Registered number: 01504593 Registered office: The Lawn, 22-30 Old Bath Road Newbury, Berkshire, RG14 1QN, UK
>

> This message has been scanned for malware by Websense. www.websense.com

Hello,

I use gcc in the cygwin tool kit (http://cygwin.com/). The cygwin tool
kit is available in both 32-bit,
http://cygwin.com/setup-x86.exe

and 64-bit,
http://cygwin.com/setup-x86_64.exe

Cygwin gives you a bash shell running in a mintty terminal. From there
you can run make with any of the gnu compilers you have installed using
the cygwin package manager. You can also run the other linux utilities
(sed, grep, awk, etc) along with interpreters (perl, python, ruby), and
allot of other stuff.

There are some additional steps in you make file to create apps that
will run on windows without cygwin installed. For gcc3 there was the
no-cygwin flag that you would add to your compile and build rules. That
flag was depreciated starting with gcc4, but I know there are other
methods. A bit of time with google should sort it out if someone from
gcc-help doesn't offer a suggestion.

LMH