Re: Building GCC Failed: stubs-32.h missing

Thank you all for your helpful comments. I made the mistake of using several
configure options that were not needed. Using the "--disable-multilib"
option and omitting the unneeded options fixed the problem. Also, I found
that the GUI used on CentOS for managing packages had options for using or
omitting filters, and omitting the "only native packages" filter allowed the
GUI to download and install glibc-devel-2.12-1.182.elf6 (i686) package with
stubs-32.h in it. Thus I now have two ways to build GCC (one with and one
without stubs-32.h).

I was surprised that the procedure for building the glibc packages (from
source) relied so heavily on glibc packages that were already installed. One
great feature of a compiler collection like GCC is the ability of compilers
to compile themselves from source. I was surprised that the build process
was so dependent on kernel libraries. I can understand gcc using kernel
libraries for its own internal operations, but I don't believe the build of
a GCC source package should be including kernel source (headers) from
outside the package or needing to link the compiled object code with kernel
libraries other than those generated by part of the build. If I try to
cross-compile GCC for another kernel, would I need compiled kernel libraries
for the target kernel? I hope I would only need the source code for the
target's libraries. Likewise use of GCC to build GCC for and on a native
machine should not need to access code outside the GCC source package except
for internal operations of the compilers that are performing the build. Do
you agree?