building 'independent' gnu toolchain

Hi, I currently have an old glibc, and I'd like to test some feature present
in a newer version. As an academic exercise, I'm trying to build a totally
separate gnu tool chain on top of this new glibc. This toolchain should live
alongside my system toolchain. I'm trying to adopt a strategy similar to
that used by the LFS collaboration to build a new system toolchain which
will form the basis of a new operating system.

The strategy seems to be the following: Install new binutils and gcc for a
target different from your host. This triggers the development of a cross
compiler, and cross binutils. Then you build glibc with those cross
utilities with the new target as the host. Then you use the cross compiler
with the new glibc to build a native binutils and gcc for the new target.

The hope is that at this point, any program compiled with the new native gcc
will automatically pick the correct linker and grab all the correct
startfiles and libraries and run without need to modify your
LD_LIBRARY_PATH.

I've been trying to get this to work, going so far as to modify some
hardcoded paths in the gcc source so that the correct default linker is
used, however I've always wound up with some problems after I build glibc.
My new cross linker never seems to be able to find some necessary files.

Is there anybody who has actually done this? Is there a better way to do
this? If this is too vague, I'll work on asking some more concrete questions
in the coming days.