gcc-4.8.x with dwarf-2 debugging information

Hello to everyone.

I have an ubuntu 13.10 installation. I installed gcc-4.8.1 using apt-get
install.

I need to use a tool that requires dwarf-2 or dwarf-3 debugging information.
I understand that gcc-4.8.1 uses dwarf-4 as a default, so i used the
-gdwarf-3 flag when compiling. However, my code now can be read by the tool
(cause it uses dwarf that it understands) but the standard shared libraries
(libstdc++) not because they were built when i installed gcc with apt-get
install and they have dwarf-4 debugging information (correct me if i am
wrong).

In order to have the standard libraries with dwarf-3 i download gcc-4.8.2
and compiled into user space (/home/gcc) using the --with-dwarf-3 in the
configure script. The installation completed successfully. Do the libraries
now in the lib subdirectory have dwarf-3 debugging information? Also, when i
used my new gcc command /home/gcc/bin/g++ myapp and used ldd a.out i saw
that it still uses the system wide standard libraries from /usr /x86.xxxx
(and stuff). Shouldn't it use the libraries from its install directory? Can
i still use any g++ command and make it load the libraries from
/home/gcc/lib ? And in that case which libraries do i need to link against?
(my app needs libatomic from there only and lpthread which is not in gcc
directory but i understand that more libraries are needed for the C++
runtime environment and stuff).

Thanks for your time