Re: GCC port

On 21/11/13 09:22, eljedi . wrote:
> Thank you guys for the answers.
> Now I have a lot to read and learn.
>

> On Wed, Nov 20, 2013 at 8:17 PM, Oleg Endo <oleg.endo@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> On Wed, 2013-11-20 at 19:25 +0100, eljedi . wrote:
>>> Thank you Jonathan for the quick reply.
>>>
>>> About the CPU I mentioned, do you think it can be done? (its a 16bits,
>>> and I read gcc works fine for 32bits processors with 32bits registers,
>>> more than one).
>>
>> Yes, it can be done.
>> For example, AVR is also < 32 bits and it works.
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Oleg

The AVR is in fact an 8-bit cpu - I think it is the only 8-bit target
that is supported by gcc mainline.

For a 16-bit cpu, look at the msp430 port.  It has just recently been
added to mainline - previously it was developed outside the main gcc
tree.  But being a new port, or at least a newly cleaned up port, it
should be a good example to start with.

Also note that before working on a gcc port, you should check that the
device is supported by binutils - if not, that's where to start.
Binutils support for a processor is a lot less work than gcc support,
but it is an essential step - that's what gcc uses for assembling and
linking.