Re: GCC 4.8 libcpp Issue...Possibly Related To (FIXED)

On 2 November 2013 21:03, Cyd Haselton <chaselton@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Sat, Nov 2, 2013 at 8:28 AM, Jonathan Wakely <jwakely.gcc@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> On 27 October 2013 23:36, Cyd Haselton wrote:
>>> Android apparently doesn't support implicit conversion so had to do a
>>> cast before the argument is passed.
>>
>> N.B. it's not "Android" that doesn't support conversion from long
>> long* to long*, it's C++.
>
> Not sure what N.B. means...

Did you try asking the web?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nota_bene

> This is probably an obvious question but since I'm still working my
> way through C I have to ask:  If C++ does not support that conversion,
> why is it in the code?  And does C++ not support implicit conversion
> from long long* to long* or explicit, or both?

The code passes the address of the field st_size to a function taking off_t*.

The relevant standard says st_size should be type off_t, so there is
no conversion needed, and the code is correct.