Re: why there are two executable gcc in my arm cross tool chain?

On Mon, Oct 28, 2013 at 7:07 PM, Terry Guo <flameroc@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I cross build a tool chain for arm-none-eabi targets and find there
> are some executable files under folder:
>
> arm-none-eabi/bin/
> ├── ar
> ├── as
> ├── c++
> ├── g++
> ├── gcc
> ├── ld
> ├── ld.bfd
> ├── nm
> ├── objcopy
> ├── objdump
> ├── ranlib
> └── strip

These executables are used by the GCC binary and associated tools
internally when they need to invoke other executables.  The directory
exists so that the tools can reliably find the executable to run
without having to worry about the exact name.

If you run "make install" the identical executables will be symlinked
together so no disk space is wasted.  Of course this fails under
various distribution mechanisms.

> While similar files under folder:
> bin
> ├── arm-none-eabi-addr2line
> ├── arm-none-eabi-ar
> ├── arm-none-eabi-as
> ├── arm-none-eabi-c++
> ├── arm-none-eabi-c++filt
> ├── arm-none-eabi-cpp
> ├── arm-none-eabi-elfedit
> ├── arm-none-eabi-g++
> ├── arm-none-eabi-gcc
> ├── arm-none-eabi-gcc-4.7.4
> ├── arm-none-eabi-gcc-ar
> ├── arm-none-eabi-gcc-nm
> ├── arm-none-eabi-gcc-ranlib
> ├── arm-none-eabi-gcov
> ├── arm-none-eabi-gdb
> ├── arm-none-eabi-gdbtui
> ├── arm-none-eabi-gprof
> ├── arm-none-eabi-ld
> ├── arm-none-eabi-ld.bfd
> ├── arm-none-eabi-nm
> ├── arm-none-eabi-objcopy
> ├── arm-none-eabi-objdump
> ├── arm-none-eabi-ranlib
> ├── arm-none-eabi-readelf
> ├── arm-none-eabi-size
> ├── arm-none-eabi-strings
> └── arm-none-eabi-strip

These executables are intended for the user to run.

Ian