Re: Where are the NON extended asm docs?

On 5/9/2013 7:32 AM, Andrew Haley wrote:
> It isn't very far from wrong to say that unless you really understand the target assembler in a deep way, don't do it.

Actually, that makes me feel better. While I never had much trouble writing extended asm, trying to do even the simplest things in basic kept raising more and more questions. I just kept assuming I wasn't getting it.

I'm not going to post my list of things I've discovered that don't work or aren't safe in basic asm. I don't intend to put them in the docs, so mostly they just serve as justifications for why my docs discourage the use of basic asm and point people toward extended. And it doesn't sound like I need to convince anyone here.

Such being the case, my current cut at docs for basic asm are in a pdf at http://www.LimeGreenSocks.com/gcc/basic.pdf for at least the next few days. It's about a page long, and much of the text was copied (with minor mods) from the extended docs I wrote (http://www.limegreensocks.com/gcc/Extended-Asm.html).

Any comments from formatting, grammar and punctuation to technical content and accuracy are welcome.

dw