Re: 4.8 cross compiler help needed

On Tue, Apr 16, 2013 at 4:48 AM, NeonJohn <jgd@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On 04/16/2013 02:26 AM, Ian Lance Taylor wrote:
>> On Mon, Apr 15, 2013 at 4:05 PM, NeonJohn <jgd@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>>
>>> I have successfully compiled 4.8 for my native system, Ubuntu Linux.
>>> Now I'm trying to build a cross compiler to generate ARM code for the
>>> Beagle Bone.  Having a few problems.
>
>> Thank you for including the config.log file.  The relevant error is:
>>
>> /usr/bin/as: unrecognized option '-meabi=5'
>>
>> Before building a cross-compiler, you need to build a cross-assembler.
>>  It looks like you have not done that.
>
> Thanks for your reply, Ian.  I have the binaries for the 4.6 ARM
> cross-compiler on this machine.  There is a arm-linux-gnueabi-as file in
> /usr/bin.  Can I not use that assembler?  If so, how to tell configure?

GCC and the binutils are designed to work together, such that if you
configure both with the same --prefix option GCC will use the binutils
assembler.  Unfortunately I do not know of a way to tell GCC to use a
arm-linux-gnueabi-as assembler.

> If that doesn't work could you point me in the right direction for
> building the assembler?  That's totally uncharted waters for me.
> Googling didn't help much.

Download a GNU binutils release and see binutils/README.  It's pretty
much the same as building GCC.  Just make sure to use the same
--prefix and --target options for both GCC and the binutils.

Ian