Re: [Bulk] Re: “--disable-multiarch” produce error about missing “bits.h”

On Wed, 17 Apr 2013 19:53:40 +0200, Marc Glisse-6 [via gcc]
<ml-node+s1065356n931248h35@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Wed, 17 Apr 2013, Hibou57 wrote:
>> Compiling GCC 4.6.4 on Ubuntu 12.04 32 bits which comes with GCC 4.6.3,
>> I'venoticed giving the `--disable-multiarch` option to `configure`,
>> makes thecompilation fails with a complaint about a missing `bits.h`
>> includes file.
>
> Why are you using that option? I doubt it does what you think.

I previously said I used this option because I was not to build for 64
bits, and only for 32 bits. However, after a review of [1], it appears
Multiarch is not just about cross compilation or compilation to a
different instruction set on the same architecture, that's also about a
standard directory layout. May I have to guess Multiarch should be enable
depending on the directory layout of the target environment also and not
only depending on the target instruction set or architecture?

If so, as Debian always use Multiarch, and as my target is both Ubuntu
(for my machine) and Debian (for a server), even if the target is to be
ia32 only, then I should still enable Multiarch. Do I understand correctly?

[1]: http://wiki.debian.org/Multiarch/TheCaseForMultiarch

--
Yannick Duchêne