Re: Reporting GCC bugs

Ian Lance Taylor <iant@xxxxxxxxxx> writes:

  I'm certainly sorry to hear that you will not be reporting bugs for
  GCC.  However, we have had spam in bugzilla in the past, and it's a
  real pain to deal with.  It's even led us to being added to e-mail
  blacklists, and cleaning that up was hours of my life that I will
  never get back.  Requiring an account with a valid e-mail address is
  an unfortunate necessity on the current Internet, at least for a
  popular and well-known site like gcc.gnu.org.  I wish it were not so,
  but the fault is not with the GCC project; it is with the spammers.

Thanks for the reply!

I had no idea this was due to spamming problems.

I think the explanation you provide really should be on the page I
indicated.

The GMP lists also receive spam attempts, a handful per day.  I deal
with it manually, and with whitelists for known non-spammers.  The
disadvantage is that it takes perhaps a minute of the moderators' time
each day, and that people see delays in reaching the lists.

The GCC way surely deflects spam, but also surely deflects lots of bug
reports, in particular when no valid explanation for the need of
registration is given.

--
Torbjörn