Re: Generate Function without Prologue and Epilogue

On 09/05/2012 12:36 PM, David Brown wrote:
On 05/09/12 07:37, Ian Lance Taylor wrote:
On Tue, Sep 4, 2012 at 10:35 PM, Xin Tong<xerox.time.tech@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
any reason why naked functions are not support for x86 ?

No special reason, no.

Ian

Is this something that could easily be moved from target-specific attributes into more general gcc support? I'm sure the maintainers of ports like the avr that have a "naked" attribute would be happier if it were a general feature rather than specific to their port, and I'm sure that other embedded targets would appreciate it.

However, I have no clue as to whether this is a simple matter of moving code from a target-specific file to a generic file, or if it needs a lot more work.

David

It's not clear (to me) what the original poster was looking for. If he just wants to eliminate (or minimize) the prologue and epilogue code he can sometimes get that effect for simple leaf functions by increasing the optimization to -O3. But I don't know for sure if that is what he was asking.

--jeff