Re: Compile 4.7.1 problems

On 08/24/2012 04:05 PM, Kent Williams wrote:
> There's a couple of things about this script, useful as it is:
>
> 1. IIRC it downloads the minimal set of prerequisites. Wouldn't be bad
> to have it optionally grab the optional prerequisites.

Yes; patches welcome.

> 2. It uses wget.  At this point I'm not sure if wget or curl are more
> common; on OS X I had to rewrite the wget commands as curl commands.

wget was the lowest common denominator; that's why it was used.
OS X is really missing wget?  Argh.  Patches welcome.

> I work on a bunch of large open source projects with many
> prerequisites, of which Slicer is a prime example (http://slicer.org).
>
> Slicer (and any projects my lab originates) use CMake, and
> prerequisites are handled by a CMake macro that downloads, configures
> and builds all prerequisites.  It also subsumes a lot of the nuts &
> bolts of autoconf system-sniffing into the 'it just works' background.
> It also generates build files for a large set of build tools, like
> Make and Visual Studio.
>
> I can't imagine the GNU development community embracing CMake, for any
> number of reasons -- licensing, 'not-invented-here', an existing,
> functional build system, CLANG uses it ;-) -- but some of the things
> that people find difficult about building and deploying the GNU
> compilers are fairly easy with CMake.  As the complexity of projects
> like GCC grow, it's never the wrong time to try and refine and
> simplify the way it's built and deployed.

In this case, I think that would be overkill.  Besides, I've always
hated build tools that download things, and I suspect that you'll find
that opinion is not uncommon among gcc developers.

Andrew.