Re: Simple question

On 8/22/2012 6:05 AM, Byron Blue wrote:
We are considering moving our operating system to the Linux environment.

I am guessing that you have a proprietary operating system that you have written, and you are considering moving further development of that operating system to a Linux environment. Note that I say "a Linux," not "the Linux." There are many, many Linux environments.

My first question is: What is wrong with your current development environment? "If it ain't broke, don't fix it."

I moved from the Apple environment to Linux (several distributions over the years) in 1999. There is a significant learning curve. I am very happy with my choice, but it cost me lots of time. Is your company willing to pay for that time? What do you project they will get in return for this investment?

In my case I was in higher education. I believe that our students benefited from being able to work in an open-source environment. But most of them come to the university knowing only Windows, so there is a learning curve for them (which is the whole point of a university education!). In a commercial environment learning curves cost money, which may not be recovered.

As for licensing issues, I believe you should talk to an attorney who specializes in such issues before making any changes. Your preliminary research (as you are doing here) may save some attorney billing time, but in a commercial venture, I would want the opinion of an attorney. I cite the current Apple v Samsung v Apple cases as my evidence.

--Bob

Our product is a commercial OMNI sonar system used throughout the world in the commercial fishing industry. The software itself and upgrades are free of charge to the user.
Of course, my choice for the compiler would be GCC.
I should initially point out that I am unfamiliar with both Linux and therefore GCC.

This is the question:
GCC uses the GNU license scheme. This operating system would be embedding in our industrial computers and I do not (of course) want the source code for our operating system to be open source - available to our competitors. The GNU site is not quite clear in this area and being new I would not want to "break the rules". Could I ask you for a bit of clarification on this issue?
Thank you for your time and efforts,

Byron Blue
Software Engineering
MAQ Sonar