Re: Regarding -fno optimization options

On 25 July 2012 07:34, Parang Saraf wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have few very basic questions:
>
> 1. I want to turn-on only some of the optimization flags for O1. Is
> doing this enough?:
>
>       " gcc -O0 -fcprop-registers -fdefer-pop -fif-conversion [...] -o
> program program.c "
>
>     I tried with a bunch of options, generated an assembly file and
> compared the assembly file with the assembly generated from just -O0.
> Ideally, there should be a difference. Right?

With -O0 there is no optimisation done, you can't enable individual
optimisation passes if no optmisation is done.

You probably want to use -O1 and selectively turn off the passes you don't want.

> 2. Secondly, if I can switch-on flags like this, then what is the need
> for -fno optimization options? Are -fno options meant just to reduce
> the number of command line options, ie. say if for O1 I want most of
> the flags except a few, then I can do "-O1 -fno-flag" ?

Yes.  It's easier to say "I want -O2 without X" rather than "I want
-O1 with A and B and C and D and ..."

> If that's the
> case, then why not all the flags have a -fno switch.

It is the case, and I think they do all have -fno switches.

> 3. In the gcc 4.7.1 optimization options documentation, there is a line:
>
>      " Most optimizations are only enabled if an -O level is set on
> the command line. Otherwise they are disabled, even if individual
> optimization flags are specified. "
>
>     What exactly is the meaning of second line?

What I said above. Without -O1 or higher most optimisations will not
run, even if you say -fxxx.