Re: CLooG hell

On 16 July 2012 02:05, Vladimir Kraljević wrote:
> Hi list,
>
> I have a show stopper here, I want to build gcc and g++ with graphite loop
> optimizations. Few hours of digging enlightened me in a way that correlated
> problems are propagating since 2005. I'm writing this mail out of two
> reasons: I'd like to build gcc 4.7.1 from source, and I'd like to highlight
> the unresolved issues with CLooG (please DON'T suggest patches for this, I'm
> trying to build *release* marked tarball - it should be called
> *experimental*, instead. Perhaps I don't understand what "release" tag means
> to you. If something is marked as release, and you provide the
> prerequisites, it must build by given instructions - or not?).

Yes, if it doesn't it's a bug, either in the instructions or one of
the packages.

I think the problem here is you're not following the given
instructions, see below.

> I successfully built gmp, mpfr, mpc and ppl (this was pretty long build), as
> presented on http://gcc.gnu.org/wiki/Graphite_Build. I must add the
> observation that information about CLooG, CLooG-PPL and CLooG ISL altogether
> with ftp://gcc.gnu.org/pub/gcc/infrastructure/ is not in sync. How that
> relates to my problem, maintainers perhaps should know (or not?).

That wiki page hasn't been updated in nearly two years, so it's much
older than GCC 4.7.1, and docs on the wiki are usually not
authoritative.

> What do I tested? pretty much everything, Chunky Loop Generator is obviously
> smart project, but also poorly administered. Before you jump red-headed with
> a knife in your hand on me, please take a look at some correspondence
> available:

> also, on the Wiki, I can see that instructions about CLooG build are not in
> sync - CLooG.org actually states the following build instructions (for
> development version, from git, please notice that ./get_submodules.sh
> invocation):
>
> "git clone git://repo.or.cz/cloog.git
> cd cloog
> ./get_submodules.sh
> ./autogen.sh
> ./configure --with-gmp-prefix=/path/to/gmp/installation
> make
> And as root: make install"
>
> Let's cut this boring letter, what I've tried with CLooG install follows:
> -----------------------------
> using cloog-0.17: (inside graphite/build): ../configure
> --with-gmp=/usr/local --with-mpc=/usr/local --with-mpfr=/usr/local
> --with-cloog=/usr/local --with-ppl=/usr/local

The GCC 4.7.1 instructions (included in the release under INSTALL) say
it needs "CLoog PPL version 0.15 or CLooG 0.16" which you're not
using. I think that's causing your problem, try following the
installation instructions for the release you're using.

I've successfully configured and installed cloog 0.16.2 against ppl
0.11 without problems, then built GCC 4.7.1 with graphite
optimisations (using the --enable-cloog-backend=isl configure option,
because I used cloog 0.16, I don't think that's needed if you use
cloog-ppl 0.15) so I know the instructions work.