Re: gcc optimisation flags for Intel Atom

On 6/26/2012 6:39 AM, Michael Zintakis wrote:

Personally, I think using "-O2 -march=atom -msssse3 -mfpmath=sse -fomit-frame-pointer -pipe" is decent enough. Any other opinions? I am using gcc 4.4.5.
-msssse3 -> -mssse3
Yeah, it was a typo, thanks!

As I know, -mfpmath=sse may slow some code speed in some architechures, but I don't know if it also is on ATOM.
No idea! Hopefully, some of the more knowledgeable on this ML could provide some insights.
Do you refer to the pentium-m? Last I knew, gcc -m32 still had available -march=pentium-m, so you could experiment with that if you are interested. IIRC, there was just one decoder for SSE2, so it was possible to gain by mixing 387 and sse when vectorization was not successful. I've never heard of much interest in comparing atom with pentium-m, even though each might have been a reasonable choice for personal laptop in its time.

--
Tim Prince