Re: Files with no valid license information

"Evan Hunter" <ehunter@xxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

> We are using a custom GCC toolchain to build commercial ARM code, and have noticed some issues with licensing of some of the install files that GCC creates.
>
> There are at least 5 small header files that are missing any kind of license information.

	lib/gcc/arm-none-eabi/4.6.3/include-fixed/syslimits.h
	lib/gcc/arm-none-eabi/4.6.3/include/stdint.h
	lib/gcc/arm-none-eabi/4.6.3/include/varargs.h
	lib/gcc/arm-none-eabi/4.6.3/install-tools/gsyslimits.h

Frankly I don't think licensing information is required for these very
small files.  However, it's true that it can't hurt.  Can you please
open a bug report at http://gcc.gnu.org/bugzilla to have a copyright
header added to each one?

	arm-none-eabi/sys-include/confdefs.h

I don't know where this file is coming from.  Are you sure it comes from
GCC?  When I install gcc myself, I don't see a confdefs.h file.

> There are also many object and static library files created with no clear indication of which (if any) are covered by the LibGCC exception.

All the target object files and target libraries installed by GCC are
covered by the GPL with the GCC runtime library exception.

> In the lib/gcc/arm-none-eabi/4.6.3/plugin/ directory, there are also many GPL header files without the LibGCC exception.

You're right.  This looks like a bug.  Please open a bug report about
this as well, separate from the other bug report.

> . A license block in every output header file,  and an output text file specifying which object/library files are covered by the LibGCC exception.

I'm not sure where such a text file would go, and I'm not sure it is
necessary.  But I'm certainly open to a patch.

> . A build switch to prevent output of any files incompatible with commercial licensed target code.

Terminology issue: all GCC code is fully compatible with commercially
licensed target code.  What you are probably trying to ask is whether
any of the GCC target libraries are under the GPL without the GCC
runtime library exception.  Or, more specifically, whether the GPL
requirements apply to any code that you link with a GCC target library.
The answer is that there are no such target libraries: all target
libraries installed by GCC are covered by the GPL with the GCC runtime
library exception, and there are no GPL requirements on code that links
with them.

Ian