From: Ian Lance Taylor [iant@xxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Tuesday, February 28, 2012 6:20 PM
To: Mihai Daniel OPREA
Cc: gcc-help@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: building cross-compiler for m68hc11/m68hc12

http://gcc.gnu.org/wiki/FAQ#Configuration_fails_with_.27.27configure:_error:_cannot_compute_suffix_of_object_files:_cannot_compile.27.27._What_is_the_problem.3F

> configure:2567: checking for suffix of object files
> configure:2588: /home/mihai/licenta/hcs12x/./gcc/xgcc -B/home/mihai/licenta/hcs12x/./gcc/ -B/home/mihai/licenta/m68hc11/bin/ -B/home/mihai/licenta/m68hc11/lib/ -isystem /home/mihai/licenta/m68hc11/include -isystem /home/mihai/licenta/m68hc11/sys-include -c -O2 -g -g -O2    conftest.c >&5
> exec: 79: : Permission denied

Try running this exact command yourself.  Presumably you will see the
same error.  Figure out why.

Here is my guess.  Look at the file gcc/as.  Look at the value for
ORIGINAL_AS_FOR_TARGET near the start of the file.  I bet it is the
empty string.  That suggests that you don't have an cross-assembler for
your target.  You need to make and install the cross-binutils before you
configure gcc.

Ian